Sara Riel Foundation
La Foundation Sara Riel Foundation Inc. is incorporated as a corporation without share capital under the laws of Manitoba. The mission of Sara Riel Foundation Inc. is to raise funds to support excellence in mental health services and research at Sara Riel Inc., as well as other charitable works in Canada in a manner that embraces the spirit of our foundress, Saint Marguerite d’Youville, and the mission of the Grey Nuns. The Foundation is committed to the following corporate values: Respect, Stewardship and organizational excellence, and Compassion.
Philosophy and Mission
The Corporation’s primary purpose is to assist Sara Riel Inc. in attaining its Mission.
The Corporation’s secondary purpose is to promote and carry on such other charitable works of benefit to Persons in Manitoba as the Member may authorize or instruct from time to time.
Réseau Compassion Network is the only member of the corporation.
Board shall consist of not less than 3 and not more than 20.
The board shall:
- Define and safeguard the mission and values
- Select, support, evaluate and establish compensation for an Executive Director
- Establish long-term direction through a strategic planning process
- Establish and monitor policies that will promote and ensure the quality of organization services
- Promote and ensure financial viability through budgeting, financial oversight, investment management and fund development
- Monitor the effectiveness of major programs or services and take appropriate action to support organizational excellence
- Promote positive external relationships with government, the business community and funding sources
- Ensure the organization meets legal and accreditation requirements
- Take responsibility for effective governance, including Board orientation, structure, procedures, relationships and periodic self-assessment
- Act with the utmost integrity on behalf of the organization’s best interests
Primary Purpose: To assist Sara Riel Inc. in attaining its Mission.
Secondary Purpose: To promote and carry on such other charitable works of benefit to persons in Manitoba as authorized by the Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba.
Foundation Board of Directors
Bachelor of Social Work from the University of Manitoba, with Option in Aging and a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Manitoba. She is currently employed by southern Regional Health Authority in Home Care as a Case Coordinator. Employed by Province of Manitoba as an inpatient social worker at the Selkirk Mental Health Centre. She also maintains a current registration with the Manitoba College of Social Workers.
Mathieu Lafrenière, B.A, J.D
Associate lawyer at the firm of Smith Neufeld Jodoin LLP in Steinbach, Manitoba. Former Director for the Aulneau Renewal Centre.
Graduate at the University of Manitoba in 2008 with a Bachelor of Commerce (Honors) degree. Received his Chartered Accountant designation in 2011. He is involved in public practice accounting for more than 11 years and is a Senior Manager at a mid-sized firm. His primary focus, during his career, has been auditing various not-for-profit entities.
Mike honed his skills in management, consensus, and governance, as a barrister and solicitor with full professional credentials and over 40 years’ experience in general legal practice, corporate law and administrative law. These leadership skills were augmented by serving as a Member of the Executive Council of the Government of Manitoba.
Mike has been active in the volunteer sector in several organizations in Manitoba.