Community Mental Health/Peer Support Worker
Sara Riel Inc. is presently accepting applications for a Community Mental Health/Peer Support Worker responsible for the delivery of services in Rehabilitation and Recovery, Skill Development as well as Tenancy Support – while meeting the Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities to the Organization.
This position may require to weekdays, evenings, and every other weekend. Daily schedule may vary according to program needs. Preference will be given to those who are bilingual in both official languages. Valid driver license and vehicle required for this position.
Qualifications and Abilities
- Degree, Diploma or Certification in a mental health and/or social services discipline.
- 2-5 years’ experience in the provision of mental health and/or social services.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English and French is preferred.
- Satisfactory Employment Record.
- Ability to function in a demanding and stressful environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Experience in computer programs i.e. Microsoft Office, Outlook.
- Understanding of mental health issues.
- Good critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
- Acute sense of discretion, confidentiality and professionalism.
Community Mental Health Support Worker
Rehabilitation and Recovery
- Work with Service Recipients to determine individualized Rehabilitation and Recovery Plans, SMART Goals and Action Plans focused on successful attainment.
- Communicate with service teams and attend case conferences as needed.
- Provide motivational support and assistance with time/daily schedule management through weekly one-on-one meetings, or as directed by Service Recipient’s needs.
- Assist Service Recipients with improving and maintaining Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs) through instruction, role modeling and community mentorship which provide the skills and strategies necessary to successfully engage in their own mental health recovery process, including Medication Management and Education; understanding purpose and use of medication.
- Develop outcome measures and evaluation tools which directly demonstrate program effectiveness and monitor ongoing assessments, progress, and outcome measures.
- Assist Service Recipients in the acquisition of additional networks of support and services.
Tenancy Support Services
- Assist Service Recipients in preparing for, finding, getting and keeping housing in their community of choice and act as liaison between tenant and landlord – by helping Service Recipients search for housing, understand their tenancy responsibilities, connect with the community, and navigate additional support services as needed.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities to Sara Riel Inc.
- Represent the Mission, Vision and Values of Sara Riel Inc.
- Provide Support and Services with Administrative Related Duties.
- Ensure the Well-Being and Safety of the Service Recipients and the Property.
- Effectively Manage Crisis Situations.
- Current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Current and satisfactory Adult Abuse and Child Abuse Registry Checks.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
- First Aid and CPR.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention.
- Applied Suicide Intervention (ASIST).
Candidate will be required to work every second weekend and 1 week per month of 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.